'Get Vegucated' and 'Got the facts on Milk?' are two brilliant American documentaries that have compelled me to change my eating habits. Go and watch them.
I am a pescetarian, meaning that I eat fish and eggs as well as dairy and all the veggie stuff. I have had to have a big rethink regarding my consumption habits. Now I have done my research and the evidence is insurmountable. A balanced vegan diet can be really healthy and even life saving. In the West our huge appetite for meat and dairy has led to obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer on an unprecedented scale.
As a vegetarian I grew up with the incessant questioning of confused carnivores who found my family's food choices perplexing and somewhat unsettling. So going vegan is even more difficult for many to grapple with. For many I have spoken to, being vegan conjures pictures of emaciated, awkward individuals who are a nightmare to take out for dinner. Although the latter may be true, I will see this as an opportunity to embrace the challenge of cooking from fresh, changing my attitude, and most importantly, my diet!
My lovely boyfriend is with me on this one and we are taking a 7 day challenge together.
Our protocols for this week:
- to eat a vegan diet completely free from animal produce
- to eat regular meals and snacks which leave us feeling satisfied
- to have a way higher nutrient and fibre intake (more fruit and veg!)
- to consume less saturated fat and cholesterol (easy when cutting out cheese and milk and cream and ice cream and biscuits and butter and pastries and most processed foods etc etc ad infinitum)
Here I will post about my daily discoveries, daily meals/snacks, and how I feel too (The vegan community report increased energy levels and less mood swings - get in)...
No comments:
Post a Comment